Wednesday, January 16, 2008

San Antonio Catholic Worker Community

CW LogoSome of you are already familiar with the San Antonio Catholic Worker Community. It's a community of hospitality on the East Side that offers a soup-line four days a week and rooms for homeless families in need of a temporary residence. The Catholic Worker philosophy is one of the works of mercy as a way of life and recognizing Christ in the stranger and the poor. You can find out more about the history and philosophy of the movement here. The name is a little misleading, as it has no official connections to the Catholic church (many of the communities are composed either partly or entirely of non-Catholics), and "Worker" refers not to the "good works" performed by the members, but the working poor the movement sought to serve when it began during the Great Depression.

The reason I bring all this up is because while we were in San Antonio, I had some conversations with the director of the CW in San Antonio, Jim Batterton, who is a member of San Antonio Mennonite Church, where Mark and Rachel and Josh and Emily have been attending. One of the things we discussed is various ways in which we might connect our two communities.

Jim is currently the only long-term member of the CW community. Most of the daily operations are carried out by short-term volunteers, some who live on site, but most living elsewhere in San Antonio. Those who live at the CW come from all over the world and have been sent there for 6 months to a year by the Brethren Volunteer Service. Jim expressed to me that it has been difficult to foster a sense of community internal to the CW itself, since he is the only one there long-term. Most of what the CW does is outward oriented--serving the homeless and poor who come from all over the city. Jim would like to see this outward oriented service balanced, supported, and nourished by a stronger internal community. He has been looking for people interested in making a long-term commitment there and helping to build stronger, deeper relationships with each other and with the residents of the neighborhood. Right now, most of the people the CW serves and has gotten to know do not actually live in the neighborhood, because, well, a lot of them are homeless.

The CW community currently owns four houses in the same vicinity. One hosts the soup kitchen and guest families. The other is undergoing a major remodel and will eventually be devoted solely to the soup-line. The one that currently hosts the soup-line will be torn down and rebuilt to be more spacious and comfortable for the guest families. Another house is being fixed up to serve as the new home for Jim and the short-term volunteers. When this is completed (in the next year or so, I believe), the house that Jim and the volunteers currently live in (Faith House) will come available. It's a very large two-story house, with 6 bedrooms, 1 full bath, 2 half-baths, 1.5 kitchens, and various common areas. I think it could be made to accommodate 2-3 families or some combination of families and singles, though it is in need of some pretty serious cleaning and renovations.

One possibility would be for us to become "official" members of the CW community. It's not clear to either Jim or myself what exactly that would mean, though it would at the very least entail that the CW (recently having become a registered 501-C3) maintain ownership of the house, and our community having some kind of accountability to the CW's board of directors (comprised of 5 people who do not live on site, but have responsibility for the purchase and maintenance of the CW properties, as well as fundraising for the community). This is all kind of fuzzy and somewhat complicated--this particular CW has never done anything like this before, so it would mean moving into some uncharted territory for everyone involved. But Jim is open to thinking and talking with us about how it might work out, and he thinks the board would be too. Among the possible benefits of this option, as I see it, is the immediate bond we would have the tradition of the Catholic Worker movement and its communities around the world, which, besides providing companionship and encouragement along the way, would also give us something of an identity to grow into ("We're Catholic Workers"). Also, given the way the CW community in San Antonio is set up, we wouldn't have to worry about paying for and maintaining the house, since it would remain the property of the CW.

Another option Jim proposed would be for the CW to sell Faith House to us (and he thought they could give us a good deal on the place). This would allow us to be institutionally independent from the CW community, but still proximate to the work it is doing and the people it is serving. This would allow our community maximal freedom to develop in its own way, as well as to do whatever we wanted with the property.

All of this merely represents the brainstorming Jim and I did together over the course of a couple of conversations. Neither of us committed to anything except further brainstorming and conversations. Perhaps neither option would be a good idea for us. I just wanted to let all of you in on the conversation and see what you think about it. Are you interested open to either of the two possibilities I mentioned? Questions? Concerns? Ideas? I would encourage those of you who don't know Jim and the CW community to stop by some time for a visit. Jim's super laid-back and easy to talk to and would be happy to show you around and tell you more about what they're about. See the link above for the address and contact info.

13 comments:

Jackie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

I feel like the Catholic Worker sounds like a wonderful place for our community... eventually. Right now I am concerned with the amount of work that it would take from all of us to maintain such an outpour into the community. I think that having a hospitality house for homeless families, and a soup kitchen 4 days a week is exactly the kind of work that i am interested in. But right now, being a student, and even more demanding, a mom, I'm intimidated by the thought. Also, having an internally focused community is important to me. I want us to be realistic about how much time we can pour out, and have energy for eachother too. I'm not bombing the idea, Jeremy, just sharing some initial conserns. I'm up for getting a great deal on a house on the eastside if they really want to sell the Faith House.

Jeremy said...

I hear ya, babe. Jim and I actually talked about that. He recognizes that where we are all at in life, with kids, jobs, school, etc., we would be limited in the amount of time and energy we could send outward, and he is fine with that. He said that he would continue to bring in the Brethren volunteers and that between them and the other weekly volunteers he gets from area churches, the operations of the soup kitchen would be totally covered. He said the guest families are a fairly seperate population, with fewer and different needs. I believe the CW provides dinner for them a couple of times a week, which is brought in by outside volunteers. There would definitely be opportunities for us to provide companionship and support to them, but there wouldn't necessarily need to be a huge output of time and energy on our part. Still, this is an important issue for us to continue to be in conversation about, both with Jim and amongst ourselves.

Jeremy said...

*cricket*...*cricket*...

Rachel said...

I too feel that we should be honest with ourselves about what commitments we already have; family, children, jobs, school, etc. While it sounds like the CW House could be a good match as far as still being able to nurture our immediate community and being directly plugged into an existing organization, I do have other reservations. From what Jeremy has described about the actual living situation it seems like pretty close quarters, and I don't know how comfortable the Faunce family is with not having more personal space. As of now, we realistically see ourselves either living very near one another or in a multihousing unit of some sort. Like we had discussed before, we have to understand what our limitations are. Otherwise it could be a poor experience, which is definitely not what it's meant to be.

I know Jon has been working on a response too, which he will be posting soon.

Jackie and Jeremy, thanks for keeping the convo going. I think everyone has just had a lot on their plates (i know we have) and I'm sure is no indication of lack of interest!

Jonathan Faunce said...

So I know we're brainstorming and I don't want to eliminate any future possibilities, but I do have a first impression to share.

I think out of all those options...If the Catholic Worker house was where we decided to end up... I would prefer to purchase a house from them, or maybe move into the area rather than live in a place managed / maintained by them. My concern is that we wouldn't be as independent of a community as I would like.

I also share some of Jackie's concerns about the amount of outward focus our community should commit to, at least in the early stages. And maybe working with the CWC wouldn't be as much of an outward strain as I imagine it being, but I do think that getting to know each family internally in a communal setting is an important first step.

In the meantime, Rachel has talked about going down to the CWC a few times a month to volunteer and get a better feeling for what they do. I might join her, and anyone else who would like to come along should just give us a call. I know we would be more inclined to go if someone else were to go with us. It's kind of like going to the gym, it's always better with a partner.

emily Alder said...

I would definitely like to join the Faunces and anyone else that is interested in spending some time at the CWH. I think regardless if any of us decide to start the community at the CWC, it may be good for us to experience volunteering (there) together and get a feel for what it entails.

I would like to encourage us to spend some time together outside of our homes. To be honest, at this point, it is a good place to start for me.

These are my initial thoughts in between diaper changes :). More thoughts to come..

mm said...

sorry guys. just saw this post today. Rachel and i have gotten to know jim over the past fews months. great guy. maybe we can all get together next week at our house to talk about what it would look like for us to begin to get involved there. then after that we can invite jim to dinner to talk with us or we can go down there and talk with him. either way. i love the idea of being involved with them in a deeper way. they also have a connection with immigrant hospitality house on the west side I did some stuff with last year.
so...dinner next week, Menjivar's--Wednesday? maybe we can e-conference for the NC Alder's.
that's a joke, even though i wish you guys were here.

Jeremy said...

Rachel,

Your are absolutely right--we absolutely must be open and honest with each other about what we perceive to be our personal limits and needs regarding space, etc. Thanks for being up front about that. We need to have a more in-depth conversation sometime (all of us) about how we feel about various possible living arrangements, space issues, etc.

John,

At this point, I think I share your inclination towards greater independence and would be more interested in trying to purchase the place or something else nearby.

Finally, Mark,

I think a group dinner with Jim is a great idea. Regardless of what happens, Jim is a great person for people to get to know.

Peace to you all.

Lisa Veale said...

Sorry guys; I just figured out how to access my old google account today. I am a nerd.

thanks Jeremy for getting these conversations started.

Re: dinner next week, are there any other days besides Wednesdays? I'm leading a small group this semester on Wednesday nights.

Rachel M. said...

First of all, please know that I have been reading everyones thoughts and have been thinking about all of this. Sorry if I have been a bit absent but I am still totally in the conversation. Well, I guess this is as safe a place as anywhere to say that I just don't know how I feel. I do think that I feel kind of tired and the idea overwhelms me a bit. I am just trying to be patient with myself on the matter. I do agree with Rachel F. as far as space goes. As shared before, I am definitely struggling with the idea of whether or not I even want to leave our house, so living in close quarters is even scarier. I also think it is hard to totally picture how we want to pour out into the community when I am kind of stuck in just picturing what life together would be like and imagining getting to know everyone at a more intimate level. That is all I have for now, still processing...

Lamy said...

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaamy here.
Thank God for this honesty and REAL dialogue--and I do mean it--THANK GOD!

Hmmmmmm...where I am personally is so different than where I "want" to be with the community. I suppose I'm working on my personal identity vs. my community identity and trying to follow the FLOW even if it takes me away from what I "want".

I do know that I treasure the times I have to get to know each of you a little more (walks in the park, church, dinner, emails, movies!) and that is where I want to invest. It's hard right now because as Jeremy and I get more plugged in to St. Marks, the more I lament not seeing each one of you on Sunday mornings and praying and reading scripture together. But I am thankful for the NOW and look forward to the unfolding of it all.

And as for dinner--the Everetts will try to deviate from our rigid selves and make a weekday get together.

And with all the new life (babies) in this community, we might be best to look for some ACREAGE--maybe in the hill country??? Yes???

Jeremy said...

RachelM and Amy,

So great to have you two join the conversation! Really. I've been wondering if a blog would actually be capable of facilitating honest and productive conversation between all of us, and so far it looks promising. I feel like I'm getting to know you all a little bit more just through these brief exchanges. It's certainly not ideal (I wish we were hanging out in someones living room), but it's far better than nothing, and about as good as I could have hoped for being 1000 miles away.

Two recurring themes: (1) space (how much do we want/need to flourish, where, and in what configuration); and (2) energy (its limitations and the resulting need to modulate its inward and outward flow). Sounds like we need a physicist to weigh in!

Perhaps separate posts dedicated entirely to these topics would be a good idea at this point. I will try and get one started sometime over the next couple of days, but if somebody else wants to jump in and kick things off, by all means!